- I wasn't sure that the metal of the threaded nipples connecting the steel fittings was strong enough and may have been made from 'Blue band' rather than 'Red band' grade pipe. (Red band pipe has a thicker wall and is rated suitably for the Sentinel boiler's wet steam conditions. Blue band is not good enough).
I replaced the connecting nipples with heavy duty hex nipples which are much stronger.
- I was concerned that when I removed and refitted the safety valves for the boiler's next and any subsequent hydraulic tests, the thread would not make as tight a joint as the first time. They would also need to be removed to fit the boiler top cover.
I inserted a 3000 psi rated union and mating nipple between the manifold and each safety valve body. The union is designed to be undone and also enables the safety valve to be correctly orientated so its exhaust pipe would align with its hole in the cab roof when refitted.
This does make the assembly taller but practical!
- I had assumed that I could obtain a steam supply for the vacuum brakes, the whistle and the pressure gauge from the four-way manifold used to feed the superheater. However, with all the other pipework in place, it was too inaccessible particularly to reach an isolating valve in that location.
I thus decided that the safety valve manifold would have to include the steam supplies for the vacuum, whistle and pressure gauge.
- At least one of the safety valve outlet pipes would have to pass through cab roof support girders. Not good!
|Here's the result. Hex nipples hold it all together. The 3000 psi unions sit below the safety valve housings. The two 'L' shaped fittings are now 'T' shaped so the extra outlets can be taken from each of the new 'arms'. The vacuum supply is downwards from the left 'T' and the whistle and gauge supply horizontally from the right 'T' to an isolating valve.|
|Not cricket wickets!|