In my last article, I'd begun to assemble the vacuum ejector pipework. Now I've pretty well completed it as shown below.
|Steam supply linked to the Ejector|
|PRV, condensate drain valve and unions at either end|
In the above photo, there are unions at each end of the pipe but, in the first photo, the upright larger diameter pipe also has unions allowing it to rotate. In this way, the distance between the PRV and ejector has been made non-critical and hence much easier to assemble.
The next task was to add some support for the vacuum hoses. Previously the 'Swan necks' on the buffer beams had left only a short length of pipe to attach the hose. I'd felt that some extra length was needed in case the hose could lever itself off.
|Lengthened 'Swan neck'|
|Comparison with usual hose attachment|
Some time ago, I decided that I wanted to take the steam supply for the whistle and pressure gauge from the safety valve assembly instead of the two outlets at the ends of the four-way manifold which feeds the superheater. It saves one expensive isolating valve and make the valve actually reachable by hand!
I thus had to block the manifold outlets. I used a heavy duty steel cap for one end and a coupling and plug for the other (I had the cap already and I couldn't get another off the shelf).
Since these items were round, I was advised that a Stillson wrench was the best way to tighten them despite the likelihood of some surface damage in the process.
|Screwing it up!|
|The cap fits|
|The Plug fits!|